Friday, December 7, 2007

Linked In...

Since we launched this blog in response to our lunch about Web 2.0 and new media and the like, it only seems fitting that the next topic to inspire a post is, in fact, again about this topic.

I've been on LinkedIn for a few months now. I've been slowly and methodically collecting friends... or whatever it is you call your contacts on LinkedIn. I know a lot of people like to go out there and link up with everyone, but I've been much slower in doling out invitations. (I've also found it very interesting to watch who proactively tries to connect with me.)

That said, I have my first story of seeing some action come from my LinkedIn membership. I got an email this week from a colleague. The colleague recently heard about a very promising job opportunity at a local company. So what did he do? Well, he didn't just send in his resume.

Instead, he surfed through the networks belonging to his LinkedIn contacts, and saw that I was connected to someone at that company. He sent me an email asking if I would be willing to make an introduction to my link so that he could find out more about the job. He also graciously said he totally understood if I wasn't comfortable doing so.

Are you kidding me?! I was happy to do so, and not only because I think highly of him and his work ethic. This was the new social media at work... The first time I'd been able to actually get involved in a real LinkedIn transaction. I'm excited. And I hope the connection works for him.

Maybe there really is something to this whole LinkedIn phenomenon after all...

-- Robin

No comments: