Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Value of Professional Organizations

So maybe I'm biased as I write this -- seeing as I am the CCG President and all -- but the truth is, I love this group! The Capital Communicators Group is valuable to me. For one, I love that there are no annual dues. If I attend a lunch, I pay. If I don't attend a lunch, no money goes out of my pocket. (Granted, now that I'm President I attend most lunches, but that's not the point.) Also, I get a lot out of my membership and out of the monthly lunches, both from the perspective of the actual presentations and from the more "informal" networking that goes on before, during, and after the formal program.

But it's gotten me thinking...

For many, the start of the new year is the time when we start thinking about whether we're gong to renew our various memberships. We evaluate the cost of the membership and what we get out of belonging to the group.

So what is the value of the various professional organizations we can join? What is the true "value" of PRSA? Is it worth its annual dues? And what about IABC or WWPR? Or other professional PR/communications groups?.

That's where you all come in! I'm hoping to get some conversation rolling here about the professional groups to which we belong and what "value" we get out of these groups. What groups do you find worth the cost of membership and in which groups have you decided to let your membership go?

Let us know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a member of several professional groups. I'll try to give a value point for each.
Washington Women in Public Relations (WWPR)-great local PR organization with personality and mostly women
PRSA-PR focused with national backing and lots of events
IABC-great diversity in communication and international chapters
Association for Women in Communications (AWC)-great diversity of women in many realms of communications; national organization; matrix awards luncheon is top notch.

I'd encourage everyone to check out the various groups monthly events. You will find a place to help you succeed and make some friends along the way.

Marc Hausman said...

It's all about your goals and expectations, right?

PRSA, IABC, WWPR, etc. are all high-quality organizations for professional development and networking with peers.

However, my responsibilities lean toward sales and marketing for Strategic Communications Group (Strategic).

As such, my time and money tend to go to organizations that allow me to interact with senior-level corporate executives in a thought leadership environment.

Good post!